The Sea and Stars

 


For my next idea I wanted to keep with the theme of the sea, but this time I decided to see if I could connect it with my interests in space. When I was thinking about this topic I began to think about stargazing and how sailors used to use the stars for navigation, this really interested me and made me think if this type of navigation was still being used.


Doing some very quick research on this subject I found some fascinating information, before accurate navigation, navigating the high seas with no landmarks was extremely difficult and caused many ships to be wrecked and lost. In 1714 after the loss an entire British fleet due to navigation errors the British government passed the "Longitude Act" that authorised money prizes for anyone who could solve sea navigation. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Folk Tales - England

Rising Sea Levels - Flooding Costs

Begining Ideas